Why no to HB588--please stand in the gap for the children...
- There is an Alabama bill for Gov Bentley to sign by Thurs-- HB588 (hit ok when link comes up empty) which supposedly grades each school--which is nothing new as they have had this since '95 but the wording is such that it can open the door to the assessments determined by the State Sup of Education and move us to Common Core Standards.
- Common Core Standards is so bad that both Alabama House and Senate signed a join resolution SJR49 to direct the Alabama Board of Ed to get us out of common core.
- Even US House of Representatives against it: "There is widespread agreement that current elementary and secondary education law is failing students. Committee Republicans have advanced legislation to revamp No Child Left Behind and return responsibility for student achievement to state and local leaders. While Secretary Duncan has claimed to share this goal, he has chosen not to work with Congress on rewriting the law – instead advancing a conditional waivers scheme that rewards states for adopting his preferred policies. Rep. Martha Roby (R-AL) reiterates that education cannot be improved through executive fiat, and urges Secretary Duncan to stop working against the committee and instead join congressional efforts to enact lasting reforms in our schools." Excerpt from Education and Workforce Committee
- HB588 was passed at the end of the legislative session had a rider that sounded great as it was going give award to schools (that rider has since been removed) .
- Common Core Standards will mean what is going to be taught in the future will be determined by Washington instead of by each state and our local school boards will just be a rubber stamp. Due to enticement of Race To the Top federal funds most states agreed to adopt to the conditional common core standards (yet making states think they can get out of it).
- Common Core Standards (promoted by Obama and Arne Duncan) is supposed to make kids college and career ready but most parents do not know that eventually their right to affect what will be taught in Alabama schools will be lost and--parents will have to instead picket Washington DC. (unconstitutional).
- The leadership we have seen listens to Planned Parenthood and had a Founder of the Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network(GLSEN) as key person promoting Safe Schools in the Dept of Ed (Google the name of Kevin Jennings and pray because he is one of those that has the ears of the Dept of Ed ). Indoctrination should be a big concern- see this much touted 33 min documentary 180 movie that will propel you to action--you will want to share with your church specially youth!
Do we dare take a chance on our children's future in the hands of those?
Please call Gov Bentley and ask him not to sign HB588--it is better not to open the door to Common Core Standards--call 334 242-7100. Start Mon as you only have til 5/24.
Also in the future homeschoolers and private school will face same problem if this passes as the new Pres David Coleman of the College Board ( he is over SAT and ACT will probably follow ) is the architect of Common Core Standards and he wants all to be aligned to Common Core Standards.
Go to TruthinAmericanEducation.com and see the collaborative efforts to control the minds of our children. Hitler was able to do it and destroyed many and Pres Reagan said "never again"...Your help is needed--a simple phone call before Thursday (May 24) will mean so much. Please get others to call (334) 242-7100 starting Monday.
Excerpt from Alabama Senate Joint Resolution 49 (SJR49)
WHEREAS, the Legislature has learned that the United States Department of Education is funding the development of
national curriculum guidelines, modes, and materials as well as national assessments based upon the initiative's standards, thus creating a national curriculum and testing system; and
WHEREAS, the Legislature is very concerned with the federal government's intrusion in Alabama's right to set curriculum and standards and the powers duly delegated to the board to do so; and
WHEREAS, this body finds that the conditional No Child Left Behind (NCLB) waiver plan will result in the United States Department of Education leveraging the states into a de facto long term national system of curriculum, programs of instruction, and instructional materials, notwithstanding the absence of legal authority in the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) and that this system will bind states indefinitely to the common core standards, Partnership for the Assessment of Readiness for College and Careers and SMARTER Balanced Assessment Consortium (PARCC-SBAC) assessments, and the curriculum and instructional modules that arise from those assessments; now therefore,
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF ALABAMA, BOTH HOUSES THEREOF CONCURRING, That by copy of this resolution provided to the State Superintendant of Education for distribution to the board, we hereby encourage the State Board of Education to take all steps it deems appropriate, including revocation of the adoption of the initiative's standards if
necessary, to retain complete control over Alabama's academic standards, curriculum, instruction, and testing system.
Try to follow this--
- The House and Senate passed SJR 49 (above) yet at the same time there is HB588 (seemed innocent until you hold it up in the light). HB588 can move us right along opposite to what US Congress and our own Alabama Legislature urges the Alabama State Board of Ed-- to get out of Common Core Standards.
- 2012-05-04 Article School Grading and Rewards Legislation Progresses in Legislature "If the legislation passes, development and implementation of the programs would be based on the State Board of Education’s proposals for revising the current assessment and accountability systems. This plan was presented to the Board at the work session on April 26th. " Update- the school rewards was put in HB588 but was removed and is not in the bill before Gov Bentley.
- So what is this plan presented at the work session on April 26th? Here is a link to a report on that session but below is a very interesting point: "The ARMT+ (as opposed to the ARMT, no plus) will eventually be aligned to the Common Core State Standards that Alabama adopted last year."
- Tommy Bice plans to ask the United States Department of Education (USDOE) to freeze Annual Measurable Objectives (AMOs) at the 2010-2011 level for Alabama’s students. This is allowable for states seeking flexibility under guidelines established last September by President Obama and U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan.The last opportunity to submit a request for flexibility will be Sept 6. However approval is again contingent on adopting common core standards:
- Each state granted a waiver agreed to three specific reform criteria: Adopting the Common Core Standards—essentially standardized curricula for specific classes, holding schools accountable for improving student performance (particularly for minority and disabled students) and establishing a system to evaluate teachers.
John Kline, the Republican chairman of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce said that's unacceptable—states should be allowed to set their own standards. "What I don't want is those decisions to be made by Washington—either dictated in law by us, or by the Secretary of Education," he said.
The Old Deluder Act--what started the first schools (remember what the founders intended.) It Is important today as children are being destroyed in body, mind and soul. Please read Mrs. Donna Garner's detailed study to help America see the truth for the sake of the children. May God help us.
"It being one chief project of that old deluder, Satan, to keep men from the knowledge of the Scriptures, as in former times by keeping them in an unknown tongue, so in these latter times by persuading from the use of tongues, that so that at least the true sense and meaning of the original might be clouded and corrupted with false glosses of saint-seeming deceivers; and to the end that learning may not be buried in the grave of our forefathers, in church and commonwealth, the Lord assisting our endeavors.
It is therefore ordered that every township in this jurisdiction, after the Lord hath increased them to fifty households shall forthwith appoint one within their town to teach all such children as shall resort to him to write and read, whose wages shall be paid either by the parents or masters of such children, or by the inhabitants in general, by way of supply, as the major part of those that order the prudentials of the town shall appoint; provided those that send their children be not oppressed by paying much more than they can have them taught for in other towns...
It is time for the Body of Christ to take the premiere fighting position they did in the beginning of this nation.
Here's a summary perspective from Jim Stergios in TruthInAmericanEducation.com:
The long and the short of it is that the Gates Foundation and the federal government payed a whole lot of nonprofit organizations to review, advocate for, manage, design and enforce the standards and assessments. These organizations all ran around pretending that they were acting in a disinterested manner in support of improving education. They even cite each other as disinterested scholars and experts who are all collaborating for the good of children. But in fact they are all either on the payroll of the Gates Foundation or the Obama Administration. The American education system has become non-democratic and Bill Gates and Barack Obama have become Judge, Jury, and Executioner on what American schoolchildren learn. And all of the nonsense about standards being validated, benchmarked, and based on objective research is a lot of hogwash. It turned out that almost the entire nonprofit education advocacy world was for sale to special interests (the Gates Foundation and the Obama Administration). And a whole lot of people are becoming very rich cooperating with them, cashing large checks, and pretending to be objective and disinterested...go to link above for entire article.
So disappointed this was signed by Governor Bentley on Monday May 21st.