ALGOP Request the Alabama Legislature to Repeal and Defund Common Core--so should you. See 2013 Resolution On Common Core Standards Please call your legislator today
2013 Resolution for ALGOP State Executive Committee
Retain Local Control of K-12 Education by Parents and States
- WHEREAS, parents will lose control of their children’s K-12 education under the Common Core State Standards Initiative (Common Core), and this overhaul of Alabama’s education system will be completed by 2014;
- WHEREAS, most parents remain unaware specific details of Common Core and will be virtually unable to change programs or correct problems since education decisions will ultimately be mandated by unaccountable bureaucrats and special interests in Washington, D.C.;
- WHEREAS, Common Core invades students’ privacy by requiring the collection of personal, non-academic information, which will be shared with the federal government and private organizations without parents’ permission;
- WHEREAS, Common Core requires that students be tracked from preschool through their careers, and the collection of Alabama student data has already started and will become part of a national database;
- WHEREAS, the U.S. Department of Education is funding the development of national curriculum guidelines, modes, and materials, as well as national assessments based on the Initiative’s standards, which creates a national curriculum and testing system;
- WHEREAS, The U.S. Department of Education is violating multiple federal laws that specifically prohibit any federal direction, control, or supervision of curricula, programs of instruction, and instructional materials in the elementary and secondary schools, and this is an invasion of states’ rights;
- WHEREAS, Common Core de-emphasizes classical literature and American history, and will replace literary works about Western Civilization with informational texts such as executive orders and work manuals, which will further diminish students’ knowledge of the moral, historical and cultural foundations of our country;
- WHEREAS, Common Core violates the founding principle that parents and states, not federal government, control local education, as well as the Alabama State Constitution of 1901, Article I, Section 35, which states that “the sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizens in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions it is usurpation and oppression;
- WHEREAS, implementation of Common Core will cost Alabama taxpayers many millions of dollars to revamp state education systems, although they had no voice or vote in the matter; and
- WHEREAS, it is urgent that the Alabama Legislature exercise its constitutional authority and duty to protect its citizens against an overzealous federal government and keep education decisions local by protecting state education sovereignty, since next year will be too late; now therefore
BE IT RESOLVED BY the Alabama Republican Party Executive Committee that we request the Alabama Legislature to (1) repeal and defund Common Core, (2) prohibit the collection and sharing of non-academic information on students by Alabama schools that is inconsistent with the 1974 Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERP) or any update approved by Congress so as to protect the privacy of students, and (3) require that any new or revised statewide educational standards that vastly change the education system to be extensively publicized to ensure that members of the public, including representatives of political, education, faith organizations and non-partisan policy institutes are informed and have ample opportunity to comment before any decision is made.
Submitted by: Elois Zeanah, Alabama Federation of Republican Women
Call your member of the House of Representatives at (334) 242-7600 and Senators at (334) 242-7800 and tell them to sponsor the bill and say NO to Common Core Standards.
Pass info to your Pastors, Youth Pastors and Church Members--we can not be silent...
But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea. Matthew 18:6
Look up dangers Texans saw about this new world of internet learning as "allah is god curriculum" was discovered being taught through CSCOPE and Obama admin maybe passing this on to other states through Common Core. Get more info from WND, truthinamericaneducation.com and michellemalkin.com
Go to www.cityonahill.tv for more...